Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The National Bank Young Farmer Grand Final

In all seriousness,
Grand Final week is like giving birth
in the sense that there is a certain amnesia
that takes over once the dust has settled and life is tracking along.

Then you arrive in the host city
and within ten minutes
the franticness of the five days looms ahead of you.

It's a good looming but even so it's daunting.


So here we are in Dunedin
the host city of the 2012
National Bank Young Farmer Grand Final

This morning I flew down from Palmerston North
with our Chairman Spud.
We arrived, dropped off and then
I headed out to Invermay AgResearch
to help (watch) Moffdog, Dunky Monkey and Henry
set up the National Fencing Final.

It's all just a pile of sticks here
but tomorrow
I'll show you the National Final in action
as they fence their way up a pretty steep hill.
Really quite steep in fact.
Enough that as I walked back to my ute
I felt sea sick for the wonky horizon.
Though I do have a dose of the flu
so it may have been a fever spike.
More drugs I say.

 It's all on in Dunedin
over the next couple of days.
If you are around come down to the Forsyth Barr Stadium
on Friday and for free watch our seven Contestants
battle it out doing ag modules for four hours,
two 30 minute head to head task races
and then the gruelling AgriSports.

It's a killer.

In the meantime watch
Katherine Tucker
our third female Grand Finalist in 44 years
on Close Up here
fast forward to 18 minutes and she's all yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment